Sunday, April 23, 2006

Food

I love to eat, but the one thing that I cannot stand is food waste. Last night, I was at the Columbo Lodge for chicken, salad and pasta. Always the same; always good. Anyways, I learned at my previous visit, that anything that doesn't get eaten on the tables is thrown away. I asked about this again last night, and nothing had changed. I would like to see the unused food donated to the New Life Mission, the Women's Shelter or the Food Share program. I'm sure that any of these places would appreciate the donation. Now I understand that there is some law that holds an organization responsible if someone who eats the donated food becomes sick. I also understand that the organization cannot control what happens to the food once it gets to the table. Did someone have to stick their thumb into the platter of meat in order to pass the plate around? Did someone pick something off the serving plates with their fingers? However, there are some things that can be controlled. The ten people at our table only ate half a bowl of pasta; there were two pieces of chicken left over. The Columbo Lodge should give out smaller portions to each table. I know that some tables will go through two or three bowls of pasta, but the beauty of this is that the bowls can be refilled. Anything else left in the kitchen can be saved for next time orvery safely donated.

No comments: