Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Dumpster Divers

Not only am I obsessive about recycling but I'm also obsessive about keeping an eye on our neighbourhood. I live in an apartment building, and through my neighbourhood watch, I've come to know who the regular dumpster divers are. I leave them be. These dumpster divers provide a very valuable service - they find the recyclables that they can cash in. This helps them get a bit of money and keeps recyclable material out of the dump. I was quite perturbed and disturbed lately on the last few of my neighbourhood watches. Other tenants were yelling at these dumpster divers that they were drunk bums and to get out. Like I said before, I know who the regulars are through the neighbourhood...They are relatively harmless. I asked them if they needed me to call the police. Of course not!!! I wish I had...I found the whole exchange upsetting and very unnecessary. So the next time you stoop so low as to yell off dumpster divers, think about a few things. They need a bit of cash, they do a job that is below what Canadians are willing to do for work and they do a good service for our environment.

No comments: